Re: CLUEBAT: copyrights, infringement, violations, and legality

Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> writes:

> * Because copyrights are not inherent, are not natural rights, are not
>   granted by God, but in fact merely incentive programs instituted by
>   governments, one does not "violate" the rights of anyone when one
>   disregards or acts contrary to a person's copyright.  When someone's
>   "rights" are "violated" we can and often do think of horrific things
>   like the torture of Abner Louima[1], or the mass execution of
>   Cambodians under the Khmer Rouge regime of Pol Pot[2].  Putting Mickey
>   Mouse in your movie or trading Smashing Pumpkins songs with your
>   friends, or even the whole world, isn't even close to the same thing.
>   So, let us not speak of "violating someone's copyright", since this
>   confuses the language of natural rights with the legal fiction
>   called copyright.

Considering the Smashing Pumpkins made their final album freely
distributable, they are a poor example.  Use Metallica or some other
litigious band instead.

--
My secret to happiness... is that I have a heart of a 12-year-old boy.
It's over here in a jar.  Would you like to see it?