Re: Just the usual rant: Debian VS legal problems (MPlayer, xine, libavcodec)

On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 12:02:39PM +0100, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 05:19, Glenn McGrath wrote:
> > A hypothetical example.
> > Australia doesnt recognise software patents,

Very hypothetical: that's false. See, eg,

    http://www.jurisdiction.com/australi.htm

> There are a good number of Australians who are interested in such things.
> Maybe we should setup a "SPI Australia" organization to be involved in non-US
> Debian work.

You might like to talk to Pia Smith, the new president of Linux Australia,
and/or Greg Lehey, president of AUUG, before trying to start YA "peak
body" for free software in .au. Either of them ought to be able to set
up any legal infrastructure necessary for the job.

Cheers,
aj

    ``Australian Linux Lovefest Heads West''
                   -- linux.conf.au, Perth W.A., 22nd-25th January 2003