Re: Just the usual rant: Debian VS legal problems (MPlayer, xine, libavcodec)

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 11:57:21AM +0100, Gabucino wrote:

> Roland Bauerschmidt wrote:
> > > xineplug_decode_w32dll.so	- code (from Wine) to load win32 DLLs
> > > 				  It's total legal isn't it..?
> > Why would loading win32 DDLs be illegal?
> AFAIK their license says they can be used only on Win32 platform.

Wine is not an emulator, as the name says, it's an implementation of the
Win32 platform.

Or does the license say that the DLLs may only be used on a Win32
platform that is copyright by Microsoft? Or is every DLL a derived work
of Windows?

I'm sure DLLs produced by Microsoft use lots of non-public API calls,
but that would be stretching it, IMHO.

So I'd say that only if the license says 'may only be used on
implementations of the Win32 platform that are made by Microsoft' would
using those DLLs be illegal.

Cheers,

Emile.

--