Re: ntop build library problems (libgd2/rrdtool)

On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 09:45:24AM +0100, Dennis Sch?n wrote:

> Affected packages:
>
> libgd2 --> rebuild with libpng3
> rrdtool --> rebuild with libpng3 and libgd2
>
> Ntop and gdchart need libpng3,libgd2. If rrdtool is not build with
> libpng3, ntop will die once the rrd graphics will be accessed. With
> a message like:
>
> .... is compiled with png.c 1.2 ...
> .... running with png.c 1.0 ...
>

> Any idea how this can be resolved? Or will libgd2 and rrdtool in the
> near future switch to libpng3?

Debian librrd currently uses libpng2 and libgd1.  The librrd in rrdtool
1.1.x uses libpng3, and no longer uses libgd (it uses libart instead), so
this problem will go away when the next stable branch of rrdtool is
released.

I am not sure whether it is desirable to try to fix this another way.
I think this sort of breakage will always happen without versioned symbols
or some other facility for avoiding such conflicts.

> PS: Please CC me on any answer as I'm currently not on this List.

Please use Mail-Followup-To: for this; it makes things much easier.

--
 - mdz