Re: libexec dir

Bob Proulx wrote:
> * I thought 'share' was defined to be truly optional, in that it *could*
>   be removed and nothing on the system would break by doing that.
> [Half sleepy post, take with care.]

I was prodded off list that /usr/share is not optional.  So I woke up
long enough to dig out the policy I was thinking about.  (andreas
posted about this recently which is what I was thinking of.)

Debian Policy 13.3:
> Packages must not require the existance of any files in
> /usr/share/doc/ in order to function [60].

> Footnote [60] The system administrator should be able to delete
> files in /usr/share/doc/ without causing any programs to break.

Which of course would not apply to /usr/share in general.  Think of
/usr/share/terminfo as an example.

Bob