Re: Open Source Games and Cheating - a paradoxum?

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 12:44:13AM +0700, Robert Lemmen wrote:
> a completely different question is whether debian would be able to
> handle the kind of games the closed-source world has. there is for
> example an rfp for uqm (Ur Quan Masters), a star control clone. the
> legal problems aside, if we pack it the usual debian way (perhaps a game
> package and one for the arch-independent data) it would add 200 megs to
> the debian archive. if we do this with every game, our archive will very
> soon have a completely unmanageable size.

A small note on uqm. Most of that data is voice data, and from what I
understand, there are plans to make that data optional. The original
music is in mod format, and is collectively very small. Removing the
voice data would shrink the size of the data package considerably,
making it easier on the mirrors and everyone. Also, the voice data and
music is static, and wouldn't have to be updated with bugfixes and the
like as much. So it's still very feasible to have uqm in the archive
eventually (once the legal issues are sorted through), but not
including the voice data might be the only easy way to do it.

 - David