Re: [desktop] debian backgrounds package

I think the size of the backgrounds should be 1280x1024, and then they can be resized to 1024x768 and these 2 background sizes are used by 80% of the users (according to http://www.kde-look.org/poll/poll.php?poll=19 . I also think that the voting should only vote for the backgrounds and there should be a seperate vote for preferred resolution. These two votes should not be coupled at all. Otherwise you may end up with background1@1024x768 and background2@1280x1024. It's important that all of the backgrounds in the package be of the same size. Also, there should be a way for people to submit backgrounds before the vote. I've created a background for debian but have never published it anywhere. Just my humble opinion(s).

-- Mark Drago
Markdrago@mail.com

Jean-Michel Kelbert wrote:

Hi,
I intend to create a package which will contain debian related
backgrounds.  (For the moment it is not a "true" ITP) I know, there are
some backgrounds in the desktop-base package. However I thinks that
these backgrounds will not suit to everybody. For example, I really like
Ayo's, but some people found them too flashy. That's why I intend to put
a large selection of debian background in a separate package. I have
started creating a list of available debian backgrounds. This list can
be found on http://people.debian.org/~kelbert/wallpapers.html (It
doesn't look very nice, it's only a list of links)
What do you think about this idea ?

We could imagine that backgrounds which will be in this package will
be selected by users, by using a sort of poll, before uploading the
package into debian. As a matter of fact, I think that having too much
backgrounds will not facilitate final user choice and taking too much
space on the servers.

Another point that I would like to point out concerns the size of
provided backgrounds.  According to a survey on kde-look.org, the most
used resolution (for kde users) is 1024x768 (47%)
(http://www.kde-look.org/poll/poll.php?poll=19).
That's why I think that all backgrounds should be provided in this size
if possible. However we have to think on what to do if a background is
available on many size. Should a package for each resolution be created
? In that case should we resize backgrounds that are not available in a
specific size, so that all background packages will contain the same
backgrounds, or shouldn't we ?
I am waiting on your opinion on this suggestion. Thanks