Re: A birthday message and a RFS for Film Gimp 0.13-1

On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 04:52:37PM -0200, Gustavo Franco wrote:
[snip]
> > Or maybe the DAM believes that Debian is getting too big, and we shouldn't
> > be letting in more people. In that case, please SAY so, so that we don't
> > deceive people by making them think they can join, only to ignore them out
> > of existence in the middle of the process.  And believe me, it's getting
> > to the point the NM's aren't the only ones bothered by it. There needs to
> > be more transparency and accountability in this process.
> Hi,
>
> You're right.The 'We Won't Hide Problems'[1] don't apply to NM queue(yes
> yes, it isn't described in social contract).

Well, I don't know if it can be applied to the NM queue, but certainly,
more up-to-date information about what goes on will clear up a lot of
unnecessary frustration and perceived problems.

> But what we can talk about the first Goal of Bdale Garbee? The Values.
>
> <quote>One of our real successes, aided in recent times by our new
> maintainer process, is that people joining our project share a strong
> belief in Free Software and the Community Development Model.</quote>
[snip]

I don't see anything wrong with that quote. The people who join do indeed
share that belief. (At least, I trust that the DAM is doing that part of
his job well, to ensure that the people who do get in share that belief.)

The problem is that *who* gets to join is a bit murky, and that needs to
be cleared up. Any issue(s) that the DAM may have with otherwise qualified
applicants ought to be stated up front, not swept under the rug hoping
they will go away. I understand that some things may be confidential; but
I find it very difficult to believe that ALL currently-stuck applicants
are being held back because of "confidential" issues. Especially when the
applicants themselves aren't informed of it.  They should either be
rejected outright, or be informed of why they are being held back. I just
don't agree that they should be stuck in the queue for > 1 year with no
feedback whatsoever.

First Rule of History: History doesn't repeat itself -- historians merely
repeat each other.