Re: Proposal: Debian release numbers

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 08:12:31AM -0500, Michael Stone wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 12:52:40PM +0100, Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von
> Bidder wrote:
> >The big change from Deb 2.x to 3.0 was the introduction of the testing
> >distribution. I fail to see a similarly big change for 3.1 (sarge)
>
> Like, say, the fact that if you compile many sarge libraries on woody
> you'll get something that's abi-incompatible?

Well, as you don't need to use two debian releases on the same system
at the same time, I see no point in using the major number as a soname
type of thing.

It's a matter of the level of functionality offered by the distribution.
I agree with Adrian that merely including new versions of already
packaged sofware would hardly mean a major step in the functionality
offered by the distribution.

But IMHO, neither does a compiler change, which a non-developer would
not notice at all (except for a few promille speed increase perhaps, and
possibly some problems with building older software). It may matter
greatly to debian developers, but I think the gcc 3.2 transition isn't
all that shocking to the average user.

Cheers,

Emile.

--