Re: Proposal: Debian release numbers

Hi,

On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 07:05:26PM +0100, Eduard Bloch wrote:

> #include <hallo.h>
> * Michael Stone [Tue, Jan 07 2003, 10:09:00AM]:
>
> > >that we often release with outdated software. Numbers and names are for
> > >marketing people. They should go along with markable changes. Internal
> > >improvements are not often not interessting enough for "end-users".
> >
> > You're clinging to the idea that the distinction between major and minor
> > numbers mean something in debian releases. Post-decision
> > rationalizations aside, *they do not*.
>
> They are not yet, but that was a weird proposal about how they can
> get some meaning besides of distinguishing the releases.

Exactly. If we'd got rid of the minor number, the flexibility to
implement such a proposal would have been gone.

So removing the minor number takes a potentially useful thing away, and
I still haven't seen anything that it gives back, other than giving less
'confusion', because a very useful concept (the 'r'-revisions) are not
well understood enough by certain users.

Cheers,

Emile.

--
E-Advies / Emile van Bergen   |   emile@e-advies.info