Re: different configs for 386 and 686 kernel

On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 10:16:27AM +1100, Brian May wrote:
> (note: I don't know what justification, if any, there is here).

i guess the main reason is to allow modifications of the initrd with stock
kernels without specific filesystem support (like minix).

Of course romfs would also be good, cause there are user mode tools for it.
But I am not sure if it has other limitations like symlinks/hardlinks.

The advantage of ext2 over romfs is, that it is for sure bigger, but most
instalalitons will use it in the production kernel, anyway, so it is not
cruft in the install kernel.

Greetings
Bernd
--