Re: [Final comments]Are we losing users to Gentoo?

At 30 Dec 2002 06:18:03 -0600,
Hunter Peress wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-12-23 at 20:14, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> > A quick google brings up lots of papers about the performance
> > differences between different C compilers, but nothing about the
> > benefits of compiling with different processor options using the same
> > version as gcc.
> >
> > Has anyone got some real-world evidence that this makes a difference?
> > I'm thinking about things like how many pages/second an Apache server +
> > mod_perl can serve when compiled generically over when compiled with the
> > "perfect" optimisations for the processor.
> >
> > Scott
>
> Well, it does. Users like the above link have seen improvements in
> graphics apps. Moreover, in this theoretical i686 distrobution, libc
> would be done in 686, which means that just from that, every package
> benefits.

We plan to prepare libc6-i686, if we recognize it's really effective
to improve performance, and if libc6 becomes more stable.

I guess i686 brings some improvements, but I want to know how much do
we get performance gain.  Do you have its real data of advantage?

-- gotom