Re: Answers to your questions about W3C patent policy

On Tuesday 31 December 2002 21:04, Bruce Perens wrote:
> A number of people have suggested defensive patent pools. I think
> I remember doing so in a 1997 article in LinuxWorld.com . The three
> problems are:
>
> 	1. Getting inventions.
> 	2. Getting money to file for patents. This is both legal fees to
> 	   format the patent claim (which has to be right if you want to
> 	   be enforcible), and filing fees.

This is a complicated intersection with the efforts in many countries to avoid
software patents at all (including European countries), where discussions
have almost always shown that patent pools are more harmful for the
community.
More than 130k people have signed the Eurolinux petition, which, if
successful, will supersede the W3C uphill battle for many people, and should
thus not be forgotten in this context.

Josef

--
Free operating systems. Free software. Free games.