Re: Are we losing users to Gentoo?

* Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> [2002-11-28 17:13]:
> So maybe you click on the "Debian on CD" link, right? And from there on
> the 4th bulletted link ("Download CD images using HTTP or FTP"), after
> wading past unofficial minimal CD images, and learning what jigdo is.

 Because those options are prefered.  We still like to help the sensible
users instead of doing everything for the DAUs[1] who simply don't care,
don't we?

> And then on scroll way down the list to your country. And then into the
> current directory on the mirror, oops, that was jigdo only?!  back out
> and to the 3.0r0 directory.

 Uhm, just a second.  When I click a on the links in that list I get to
the debian-cd directory on the mirrors where I can choose between jigdo
and the 3.0r0 directory.  Why do you find yourself in the jigdo
directory?

> What, that was jigdo again?! Hmm, try another mirror.

 Now it would be _more_ than helpful which link you are refering to.
Without knowing it that seemingly broken link can't be fixed, thank you.

> Maybe the one in Austria, because it's the top of that list of
> mirrors. Hmm, no, it only has a jigdo directory too.

 Uhm, you seem to be blind, sorry.  Both ftp and http of the austrian
mirror has the 3.0r0 directories.  Can you please check before accusing?
I guess you seem to be puzzled by the layout of the HTML-Page there --
but you can't accuse debian for third party layouts, or do you try to do
so?

> Finally, by picking the FTP site (not the HTTP site) in Austria, and
> digging two more directories deep, you find an iso.

 "Digging" one directory, there are just two and it's the one that is
not named jigdo.

> But maybe instead, back at debian.org's front page, you picked the
> "Getting Debian" link instead. Only to end up on a page that links to cd
> vendors and "downloading over the Internet". Ok, the latter. But it
> points to a page that only lets one download unnofficial netinst iso
> images, which are of varying quality, and well, unnoficial.

 You are right, there should be added a link to the $(HOME)/CD/http-ftp/
on that page, too.  Thanks for the (quite hidden) suggestion.  Joy, do
you think that would help, too?

> (feel free to use me as one data-point; I have never used the debian
> website to try to download a debian CD before; indeed I have never
> downloaded a debian CD).

 But your first approach was correct, only that you seem to have been
confused by third party html layouts on which we don't have any
influence.

 So long,
Alfie

[1] Dumbest Assumable User
--
16:46 <Molle> sorry fuer die andauernden rejoins
16:46 -!- Molle [~molle@p3EE21B49.dip.t-dialin.net] has quit [leaving]