Re: Debian Accessibility Project was: Re: linux for blinds

    ML> I now took the time and summarized the current state of things
    ML> regarding accessibility and Debian, and also tried to give a bit
    ML> of overview which areas could use help from people.

BTW, there's the Free(b)deb project
(http://www.freebsoft.org/project-freebdeb.html), aiming at producing a
customized Debian-based distribution for the blind and visually
impaired.  The project has received some sponsorship recently and we
hope to produce a usable installation CD or DVD during the next year.

Our resources are quite limited, so we try to achieve the simplest
imaginable goal as the first step -- to produce a medium that can be
used to install and configure a limited set of the most important
packages (from the point of view of the visually impaired people)
easily.  "Easily" means in such a way, that a non-impaired knowledgeable
(i.e. one who is a bit familiar with system administration and has read
the accompanied documentation) person can install several systems
without big troubles in short time on a common hardware, e.g. during an
installfest, and get them running in a usual way.

>From the technical point of view, we're just at the beginning.  Anyone
interested in participation is welcome to subscribe to the developers'
mailing list (freebdeb-devel-subscribe@freebsoft.org).

Regards,

Milan Zamazal

--
The seeker after truth should be humbler than the dust.  The world crushes the
dust under its feet, but the seeker after truth should so humble himself that