Re: Are we losing users to Gentoo?

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 11:59:08PM +1100, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> We haven't agreed to do anything about CPU-optimised binaries because
> nobody has really shown why we should. I expect that we could come up
> with a solution without too much difficulty if we agreed that one was
> needed. We need an actual technical reason (ie demonstrated performance
> improvement) rather than peer pressure though.

More than that, in the *one* case [0] where somebody has shown it to
be important so far (libssl), we've already got a solution in place
that seems to be working. It would not be difficult to extend this to
other things that needed it, if anybody ever supplied any evidence
that this was worthwhile.

[0] Disregarding the kernel, since that's not really our problem

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ | Dept. of Computing,
 `. `'                          | Imperial College,
   `-             -><-          | London, UK