Re: NF Compromise - Alternatives Nagging + planned removal date warning

On Tuesday 19 November 2002 11:44 pm, sean finney wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 01:08:38AM -0500, Anthony DeRobertis wrote:
> > This will teach our users to ignore messages produced by dselect and
> > friends as well as by debconf. People will begin to hit OK without
> > reading the message because they are so used to ignoring the messages.
>
> well, how about this.  the first time they install debconf/dpkg/apt,
> one of the configuration options could be
>
> "do you want to be informed of free alternatives to chosen packages?"
>
> if they answer no, they'll never get the nags, and if they answer
> yes, then they really do want to know, and debconf could print or
> not print the messages, with a reminder how to disable it in case
> they change their minds later on?  it wouldn't be that hard to
> implement considering debconf already does something like that with
> differing levels of requested detail.

You could also add a message that comes up on first install (not necessarily
every upgrade) that reads something like:

"This package is not DFSG compliant and is not part of the Debian GNU/Linux
Distribution.

Use of this software in certain ways may have adverse legal implications.

The Debian Project is not able to give advice in your specific case. We
strongly recommend that you print out the following license and have it
reviewed by someone qualified to practice law in your region to determine
exactly how this non-free license will affect your business or personal
activities.

Do you want to know about Free alternatives to this package (y/n) ?"

> just an idea anyways,

Likewise

- Derek