Re: orphaning my packages

[Please don't send me a personal copy of list mail; thanks.]

On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 09:19:07PM +0600, chanka perera wrote:
> Colin Watson says,
> >Well before I joined the project, I was communicating with other
> >developers and doing my best to get involved.
>
> That's what I was trying to do to find a project to work, even as a
> initial starting point to check the bugs at the ongoing projects but
> from where can I find projects at Debian ? And how is it possible to
> help developers with out knowing them ? These are the problems I'm
> having ..

Find serious bugs that need fixed (say
http://bugs.debian.org/release-critical/) and send patches. We're
holding a bug-squashing party next weekend, and you could join in with
that. Find a package you're interested in that needs help and start
working on it, again sending patches. Offer to adopt some orphaned
packages. Write documentation or work on translations. In general, try
to make yourself useful.

There are plenty of links at http://www.debian.org/devel/, including the
general to-do page at http://www.debian.org/devel/todo/. Only you can
decide what you're interested in, though; there are too many areas of
Debian development for anybody to be able to pick something out of the
air and say "here, work on this".

> Because these advocating process is bit confusing because , It's
> impossible to start a new project at Debian alone

You can do packaging by yourself, although you'll need a sponsor to look
over it for you.

> No place to find ongoing projects unless you mail people and get to know
> them and get help from them

So do so! :-) Browse around the web site starting at Developer's Corner,
and I'm quite sure you'll find plenty of places to dive in.