On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 11:22:34AM -0800, John H. Robinson, IV wrote:
[snip]
> the propositions of no longer asking about non-free/contrib at install
> time are excellent. the sample sources.list installed can have a small
> blurb saying
>
> # The non-free and contrib sections are not a part of the Debian OS.
> # If you wish to activate these non-Debian portions, uncomment the
> # following lines:

I like this idea.

[snip]
> the propositions of actually changing the name of contrib and non-free
> to more descriptive not-a-part-of-the-OS are good (these can cause a bit
> of dismay to the users when the next release no longer has contrib and
> non-free, and they wonder why their sources.list just broke)
[snip]

Good. This will force users to notice that contrib and non-free (or
whatever their new names will be) are not part of Debian, when they
upgrade to sarge. I think that should clear up the problem of users
perceiving everything on the FTP servers as part of Debian proper.

Also, having a pathname with a component like "non-debian" can serve as a
semi-prominent reminder of the nature of contrib/non-free, too, without
inflicting on the users the consequences of removing them completely from
the FTP archives.

In a world without fences, who needs Windows and Gates? -- Christian Surchi