Re: Ask yourself some questions

Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> writes:

> On Sun, Nov 17, 2002 at 10:19:25AM +0100, Andreas Metzler wrote:
>> I should simply stop using misleading pronomina:
>> "No, but I and probably Rémi too read Branden's remark as: Even if
>> we remove the package from non-free, the old locally installed copies
>> of these packages will still be available. In this context *Rémi's*
>> remark makes sense. ..."
>>
>> I might think "the old packages work well enough" but in reality
>> there might be some bad bug in them that I've just failed to notice yet
>> because I as simple user have not taken over the maintainer's role and
>> do not read upstream's BTS.
>
> But we can't provide any guarantees that this won't happen anyway, even
> with *maintained* non-free packages, because the licensing may not
> permit it, or no source code may be available.

Then an RC bug is filed against the package. That's one of the
advantages of staying in the debian infrastructure : bugs are
published,...

> That we can fix bad bugs in one non-free package is cold comfort to
> those who are affected by bad bugs in non-free packages we *can't* fix.

They at least chose to use a non-free package for which there is no
possibility to correct it. When I want to install a non-free package,
I *know* I have to read the license to see if the package is free
enough for me.

<couic>

--
Rémi