Re: permissions of /etc/ppp

John Hasler wrote:
> Eduard writes:
> > I assume that all of them depend on ppp, and so ppp is installed first
> > with the root.dip permissions.
>
> Will ppp always be installed first if it and the package(s) that depend on
> it are installed on the same command line (i.e., 'dpkg -i pppconfig ppp')?

No. The only way to give a directory special permissions in debian is to
make all packages that contain the directory have the same perms.
Otherwise the results are essentially random, no matter what else you
do. I can dpkg --unpack foo.deb which depends on ppp before ppp is
installed at all and get a 755 /etc/ppp; there are lots of other similar
scenarios.

--
see shy jo