#include <hallo.h>
* Branden Robinson [Sun, Nov 17 2002, 02:42:34AM]:

> > > You cannot know this.
> >
> > Sure we can.
>
> No, not unless you are omniscient.  Do you claim omniscience?

Of course not, but you should not either!

> Perhaps you and some of the other opponents of the GR should get
> together and decide whether or not passage of the GR will "kill non-free
> packages dead", since one objection raised from several quarters is that
> passage of the GR will do just that.

No, that is the reason for stopping all this waste of energy and keep
the situation as-is.

> > We would just hurt Debians reputation by forcing the people to use
> > packages from unknown source rather then from official mirrors.
>
> There already exist many sites on the net where one can Debian packages
> that aren't from Debian.  Does that hurt Debian's reputation or not?

When they will have to search for $SOME_SITE to get acroread, povray and
graphviz, this will hurt the reputation, yes.

> > > 1) Some people may decide they don't feel like fooling with non-free
> > > anymore, and decide to spend time on Free Software instead.
> >
> > Ideology. Who cares about it?
>
> *shrug* Some people do; otherwise I suppose you wouldn't have people to
> get angry with, in your view.

As said, most users do not. Our priorities are our users. There is
always a bit of violating the social contract when you doom the non-free
software without providing a free alternative.

> > If I need acroread for some presentation, I want to use it. Know. Not
> > to wait till xpdf bug is fixed so I can run it in full-screen.
>
> You'll have to talk to Adobe about that; acroread is not distributed by
> Debian anymore.

Oh, well, he really removed the package from the pool few days ago :((

> > What exactly has this to do with Free vs. Non-Free software difference?
>
> It is a rebuttal to your assertion that "the time sacrificed for that
> repository will be subtracted from the time sacrificed for Debian
> proper."

Unrealistical argument, IMO.

> > Yes. If the people package non-free software, and it can be distributed
> > w/o problems, I would not drop it just for ideology.
>
> Fortunately, that is not the reason I support John's General Resolution.

The whole thing was started the wrong way. Prepare the GR, then start
the discussion. The current flamewar appears more and more silly. Either
we will have the GR quickly, or some people will become quiet, sooner or
later and the issue will be forgotten for some years.

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.
--
I'm not being rude. You're just insignificant.