On Sat, Nov 16, 2002 at 05:28:38PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> writes:
> > Why do you think "The Debian distribution is supposed to be free
> > software"?
> Sure, and the status quo is a not unreasonable way to work things.
> But it depends on people actually understanding the difference between
> the distribution itself and the ancillary extra stuff.

What depends on this, exactly? People need to understand that main is
dfsg-free and non-free isn't -- otherwise they might make assumptions
about what they can do with bits of software that's in error -- but
what difference does it make to anyone what's "the distribution itself"
and what's "ancillary" ?

> This whole thread started because someone (again, sigh) confused them,
> and I said "whoops, that's wrong", and I was *criticized* for
> correcting the usage.

No, you're criticised because you've decided that some particular phrases
are holy and must only be used one particular way.

Cheers,
aj