Re: permissions of /etc/ppp

On Sat, Nov 16, 2002 at 03:12:47PM -0600, John Hasler wrote:
> > Strange, I have it 755 root:root on my two Debian woody systems, and I am
> > almost sure, that I have not changed this myself.
>
> It's 750 in the ppp package.  As Joey noted some package that put a file
> there (e.g., pppconfig) may have changed it on your system.
>
> I think it's an historical artifact.  I can't think of any reason it needs
> to be 750.

No? Shit, I just changed Lintian to complain about it if not. :)

I remember wondering about this myself when I did some work on the package.
I think I concluded that 750 is good because otherwise potentially sensitive
information (usernames and such) could be revealed to users not allowed to
run pppd, because they were in 755 files at the time.

I took a short look now, and I see that the file permissions are stricter,
and can't quite find a valid reason for 750 other than maintaining backwards
compatibility.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.