Re: URLs on debian.org/distrib/packages pages

Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> wrote:
[...]
> The purpose of a package description is to tell you what a package is,
> so you can decide if you want to install it (or remove or whatever). The
> only reason I can see for putting an URL in a package description would
> be if the package description is not sufficiently good to describe the
> package. In that case, the description should be fixed instead of
> linking to a web site that may not be available.
[...]

I'd like a link on packages.debian.org because the package's home page
gives me information that cannot be seen from the description:
* is the project alive?
* is the packaging up to date, or does Debian ship an ancient version?

I'd like to read bugs.debian.org/some-package and follow the link to
packages.debian.org/some-package and go from there to the homepage,
instead of
apt-get source --diff-only
view package..diff.gz
copy and paste the URL from the copyright file. I can go to
freshmeat.net instead, but they don't have all packages in Debian
listed.
                 cu andreas
--
Hey, da ist ein Ballonautomat auf der Toilette!
Unofficial _Debian-packages_ of latest unstable _tin_