Re: A Round of Removals

On Sat, Oct 26, 2002 at 11:23:41PM -0400, Daniel Martin wrote:
> Otavio Salvador <otavio@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> writes:
> >
> > > Both acroread and netscape have security bugs that we CANNOT reasonably fix
> > > due to their non-freeness.  These are probably two of the most justified
> > > removals.  It is possible that newer versions of Netscape Navigator (at
> > > least 4.79 seems to exist) may fix this bug, but I cannot say for sure.
> > > Newer versions of Acrobat Reader are not redistributable (see the BTS), so
> > > this needs to go anyway.
> >
> > Yes and what think about create an acroread-installer package?
>
> Not allowed.  Yes, acroread is THAT non-free.  Really.

Unacceptable!  Debian MUST infringe copyrights!  Non-free software is
HOLY!  Debian OWES IT to its users to risk legal harassment from Adobe.
Users must NEVER be asked to use CRAP like "xpdf" because EVERYBODY
KNOWS that ALL FREE SOFTWARE *SUCKS*!  The only time it doesn't is when
there isn't a non-free alternative.

If you remove acroread and Netscape from non-free, people might get the
CRAZY NOTION that the non-free section of the archive has OUTLIVED ITS
USEFULNESS!

THIS ABSURD NOTION MUST NOT BE ALLOWED TO GAIN CURRENCY.  PEOPLE ARE
DOING REAL WORK WITH NON-FREE SOFTWARE AND DEBIAN MUST ENGAGE IN
SOFTWARE PIRACY IF THAT'S WHAT IT TAKES TO MAINTAIN THE STATUS QUO.

</sarcasm in case you couldn't tell, anencephalite>

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    If you wish to strive for peace of
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    soul, then believe; if you wish to