Re: findutils not actively maintained

On Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 09:04:42PM +0100, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> >  * Non-Maintainer upload.
> [Impressive list of fixed bugs]
> >  * Closes: #113139: updatedb: please remove "auto" from PRUNEFS
> >    Closes: #129121: I don't believe fstype AUTO should be excluded in
> >      updatedb.conf
> >    Closes: #132430: auto in PRUNEFS in /etc/updatedb.conf has unexpected
> >      sideeffect!
> >    Closes: #144649: the updatedb cron script does not work on root
> >      filesystem type auto
> >    Closes: #119603: locate should index filetype (auto) [ext3fs]
> [...]
>
> How did you go about this? This is a bug in mount. Imho there is
> nothing to do in find, because both indexing and not indexing auto can
> be wrong, and not indexing it is the better safe default.

Hm, I tested this with a manual mount. This worked, so I thought the
bug would have been fixed. The manual mount point was of course not /
but it should have been, because / is still being listed as auto in mtab.

I've looked at mount(8). According to the list of auto-detected fstypes
there's one that is currently excluded by PRUNEFS: iso9660. So a root fs
on a cdrom would be indexed if auto is removed.

Perhaps still better to stick to the principle of least suprise.

Thomas