Re: Hybrid 7 OFTC IRC Daemon - experimental package

* Daniel Stone <dstone@kde.org> [2002-10-27 10:44]:

> On Sat, Oct 26, 2002 at 08:02:03PM +0200, Martin Wuertele scrawled:
> > No, the ircd won't run as root but - same as with apache and other
> > daemons - only root should be able to _change_ the configuration. Thx to
> > the unix file permissions this is no problem.
>
> No, no, and no.
>
> Most IRC servers are donated. Requiring sponsors to have root is ... um
> ... a good way to kill most IRC networks.

That's where sudo comes in and I think having a user (not necessarily
the one the ircd runs as) for administrating the ircd in /etc/sudoers
allowed to run the vi* programs is a nice solution.

yours Martin
--
<maxx@debian.org> --------------------------------- NO HTML MAILS PLEASE
           GPG / PGP encrypted and signed messages preferred