Re: Debian audits (qa, security, rough, performance...)

On Sat, 26 Oct 2002, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:

> On Saturday 26 October 2002 06:55, Drew Scott Daniels wrote:
> > I would like to call for there to be an audit team and I would like most
> > popular packages to be audited first. Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@debian.org>
> > 's "Debian Popularity Contest Results" at
> > http://www.debian.org/~apenwarr/popcon/ may be a good place to look for
> > figuring out package popularity. Debian-security and Debian-qa may be able
> > to help with creating an audit team.
>
> I thought about this recently.  What if we could get the http logs for
> http.us.debian.org and data harvest them.  This should give us a fair
> approximation of the number of people who use a certain package.  We could
> even parse them by the country/location to see that Polish people prefer XXX
> and Romanian's prefer YYY.  But on topic, this would help tell us which
> packages get the most use.

Some people may not like this as they cannot control if they are in the
http.us.debian.org logs. That aside I think it's a good idea. We'd have to
watch out for duplicate downloads and alike.

     Drew Daniels
I'm looking for work, my resume is at:
http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umdanie8/resume.html