Re: Hybrid 7 OFTC IRC Daemon - experimental package

On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 03:37:38PM +1000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 11:16:55PM +0200, Martin Loschwitz scrawled:
> > On Sun, Oct 20, 2002 at 03:07:52PM +1000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > > This looks really good from a quick glance, and I recommend it be the
> > > default. dancer is unusable, even if you are asuffield,
> >
> > This is crap. dancer-ircd is as usable as every other ircd is, as long as you
> > take the time to configure it correctly.
>
> I was talking about the awful code quality.
>
> When dancer was put into OPN use, the topic in the staff channel usually
> had about 3 instances of "don't do <foo>, you'll take down several leaf
> servers and a hub", where foo was something trivial like OPERWALL, or
> umode -o (those are both accurate examples; OPERWALL randomly killed
> servers, and umode -o made your session prone to extreme instability, as
> well as the servers).

Which was, 99% of the time, hopelessly out of date; it took me *three
weeks* to get the message across that the umode -o issue had been
fixed; in the end I had to edit the private MOTD to embed the notion
into people. On average, such bugs were actually fixed within hours of
their being reported (which could be as much as a week after they were
discovered, thanks to some people who would rather complain on IRC
than send mail), the various staff channels just didn't stay abrest of
current status.

Plus, commands which could only be accessed by privileged users are
not serious issues, so they didn't get audited before release.

Not to mention: real software has bugs, deal with it. Especially when
there's no decent way to test it (hybrid, in all forms, resists unit
testing).

> Most IRC daemons have been proven to work; dancer has been proven to
> fail.

FUD != proof.

Since I actually *do* analyse such matters to identify stability
issues and fix them before they become serious, I know that dancer 1.0
on OPN, even with the kludges to work around hybrid-6 braindamage, now
(for the past 6 months or so) gets better connection and server uptime
than either a) the old ircu-dancer on OPN that it was created to
replace, or b) hybrid-6 on efnet.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ | Dept. of Computing,
 `. `'                          | Imperial College,
   `-             -><-          | London, UK