Re: Bad signature, was: Re: Need a stable NMU'er please ...

On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 10:35:57AM -0400, Elie Rosenblum wrote:

> I believe I tracked it down. The problem is, I believe the key is
> permanently an IDEA key, created with pgp2 (in 1997). gpg refuses to
> sign anything with it, since I don't have the gpg idea module installed,
> which would have to be done by hand since it's not part of the official
> distribution. I assume this also means gpg can't check pgp2-signed mail
> messages (as indeed, when I copy all of my keys from pgp to gpg, gpg
> says the signature is bad while pgp says it's good).

he module in quesion is debianized:

Subshell:alex@syjon:[~]:8:> apt-cache search gpg-idea
gpg-idea - IDEA (PGP 2.x-compatible) module for GNU Privacy Guard

Signature verification problems are due to the minor incopatibiliies between
PGP 2.x and GPG (in areas not clearly defined in RFC2440).

> Does anyone know if it's possible to 'fix' this without creating a new
> key? I've been avoiding creating a new key due to the recent keyring-
> maint situation.

Install the module and migrate to using GPG - it is perfecly possible to
use PGP 2.x key in GPG (been there, done that).

Alex
--
C _-=-_ H Janusz A. Urbanowicz, stomil at jabber.org, PGP 0x21939169    *