Re: Bad signature, was: Re: Need a stable NMU'er please ...

On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 01:28:50PM +0200, Oliver Kurth wrote:
> But there certainly is a problem. I get the same error with gnupg from
> sid and from woody, using mutt in both cases. The others that get the
> error use mutt or Evolution.
>
> I got your key from wwwkeys.de.pgp.net, but the key from
> keyring.debian.org is the same. Are we talking about the same key? Your
> fingerprint seems to be:
>
> $ gpg --fingerprint 4B7C223D
> pub  2047R/4B7C223D 1997-04-28 Elie Rosenblum <fnord@debian.org>
>      Key fingerprint = B5 D5 EA ED 77 ED 1D 24  21 F9 BF 8A 60 68 D6 34
> uid                            Elie Rosenblum <erosenbl@nyx.net>
>

> gpg signing is not worth anything if we do not investigate this problem.
>

> Does anyone _not_ get 'BAD signature' for Elie's mails?

I believe I tracked it down. The problem is, I believe the key is
permanently an IDEA key, created with pgp2 (in 1997). gpg refuses to
sign anything with it, since I don't have the gpg idea module installed,
which would have to be done by hand since it's not part of the official
distribution. I assume this also means gpg can't check pgp2-signed mail
messages (as indeed, when I copy all of my keys from pgp to gpg, gpg
says the signature is bad while pgp says it's good).

Does anyone know if it's possible to 'fix' this without creating a new
key? I've been avoiding creating a new key due to the recent keyring-
maint situation.

--
Elie Rosenblum                 That is not dead which can eternal lie,
http://www.cosanostra.net   And with strange aeons even death may die.