Re: DAM approval wait time?

On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 07:37:02PM +1000, Andrew Lau wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 05:05:41AM -0400, Simon Law wrote:
>
> > 	I've found that being a Developer isn't that important to the
> > work that I contribute, and I hope that you will continue to
> > contribute whatever you can.
>
> 	I know, but after awhile I feel as if I'm a second class
> member of the Debian community, that I'm untrusted and being
> stigmatised. I'm not after alau@debian.org for any status at all, only
> as a "thanks for helping out" and to feel accepted.. When you're up
> against that, you really start to wonder if it's worth it at all.

I know how you feel. I still think it is worth it.

> > 	Above all, you have to remember that most people working in
> > Debian have the best of intentions, and that you should accept that
> > things don't always happen as quickly as you'd like them to.
>
> 	That's what I used to believe as well. But when you're being
> stone-walled, you start hearing many disheartening things and you don't
> know what to believe in anymore. With all of the politics involved
> around here you really don't know if someone likes getting their kicks
> holding grudges, especially against you.

Do not take it personally. You are not the only one being ingnored. Even
people that try to help are.

> So much for "3. We Won't Hide Problems" of the Debian Social Contract.

Yes, I think we[1] really have a problem here. It may very well be that
the DAM is too busy. But this is not an excuse for totally ignoring
mails. If he has too much to do, he should ask someone for help or give
the job to someone else. That's what maintainers do, when they are
overloaded. If a maintainer does not respond to bug reports, his
packages will be NMU'ed. Unfortunately there is no equivalent for the
DAM.

A problem does not go away by ignoring it (I've read that in some
.signature ;-)).

[1] Can I say 'we'? I am not yet part of Debian.

Greetings,
Oliver
--

DAM approval waiting time: 126 days.