Re: JOEL BAKER, STOP TELLING PEOPLE TO DEPEND ON LIBC-DEV *INSTEAD* OF LIBC6-DEV

On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 05:45:31PM -0500, Graham Wilson wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 09:52:21PM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 10:28:30AM +1000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > > Because, when you have multiple packages providing libc-dev, apt
> > > stops and says "Shit! Which one should I install?". Your build thus
> > > fails.
> >
> > Why don't we fix apt-get instead of kludging all of our packages?
> > Purely virtual dependencies should be quite acceptable.
>
> what happens if there are multiple packages that provice the pure
> virtual package? (for instance, www-browser) how would apt determine
> which one to install?

It should pick the one with the highest priority, and if there's still
several, pick one at random. Or sort the names and pick the one that
comes first, or last, or second or something. According to the
dependencies they all provide the requested functionality anyway.

Hamish