Re: RFC: some new deb package flag: "upgrade-conflicts"

On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 03:54:00AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> >>"Anthony" == Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> writes:
>  Anthony> On Sun, Oct 06, 2002 at 02:10:13AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>  >> >>"Anthony" == Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> writes:
>  Anthony> * when is the dotrc-upgrade stuff done? (at next login
>  Anthony> after upgrade?)
>  >> How does the script running at next login (could be days) help
>  >> uncorrupt data?
>  Anthony> So, what would you suggest instead?
> 	In the general case? I don't know if it can be done in the
>  general case.

Then there's not much point worrying about the general case. Do what
you can to make things better, then stop.

>  Even in the specific case, a simple automated solution
>  may not be possible.

Certainly. So let's worry about the specific cases where it *is* possible
to do better than we do now.

>     Ideally, bogofilter should have versioned the data, and converted
>     on the fly, automatically. Failing that, the only way this seems
>     feasible is to either rename the binary (bogofilter-ng), or
>     schedule a flag day when the whole machine  changes.

So, if the maintainer decides that the incompatiblity with upstream
resulting from changing the binary name is something to be avoided (if
the name change is okay, none of this is an issue), is there anything
that can be done to assist admins with "flag days" ?

> 	Given the above, it is _not_ possible to automate the
>  transition.

Providing some mechanism to warn all users who are logged on of a change,
and making it easy for users to cope with such transitions seems possible
and helpful, even if automating everything out of the way isn't possible.

Cheers,
aj