Re: RFC: some new deb package flag: "upgrade-conflicts"

On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 01:05:35AM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 07:02:06PM -0500, Graham Wilson wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 10:16:38PM +0900, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> > > We currently don't provide any control over dotfiles found in
> > > user home directories, and we leave any conflicts as they happen.
> > > I'd like some kind of scripting system.
> >
> > i dont think we should. shouldnt it really be the responsibility of
> > upstream to provide the ability to transition from version to another?
>
> In all other things, it's our de facto responsibility to fix up mistakes
> or omissions by upstreams when they affect our users. Why not in
> configuration files too?

it just seems like upstream would want to support users who are
transistioning from older versions of the software. i think a better
policy, rather than something debian specific, would be for debian
devels to work with upstream to provide something that can benefit
everyone.

--
gram