Adopting Argus

Hi,

I'm about to commence going through the New Maintainer process.
I just read in DWN that the argus and argus-client packages have been
orphaned by their maintainer, who is someone else going through the New
Maintainer process. He cited "inexplicable problems" with his application
as the reason for orphaning his packages (bugs #163005 and #163006).

I'm interested in adopting the aforementioned packages because I'm using
them at my place of work, and having been evangelising Debian for all it's
worth here, it would make Debian look bad if the packages we're relying on
for IP accounting are no longer being actively maintained in Debian.

So I guess my questions are:

a) At what point in my New Maintainer application process can I adopt
these packages (I suppose assuming no one else adopts them first), and

b) How can I avoid the "inexplicable problems" Yotam experienced with my
own application?

regards

Andrew