Re: attn: bogofilter users

Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:

> On Monday 30 September 2002 09:46, David Roundy wrote:
> >
> > But bogofilter isn't in stable, it's only in unstable and this makes a
> > difference.  So I would say it's better not to clutter up the namespace by
> > changing the package name.  Of course, I would also tend to vote for the
> > interactive preinst, since this is quite a major change.  It seems like if
> > an interactive preinst is ever appropriate, this would be it.
> >

> ah.  If this is unstable only then sure, do what you want (-:
>
> preinsts chattering still scare me a bit though.

Even in unstable, I would be rather upset if a maintainer knowingly
broke people's setups without any warning from the package during the
upgrade. A debconf alert during preinst seems like the right solution.
Yes, it's a little irritating to walk away from the daily upgrade and
come back a while later to find a debconf prompt, but it's better than
having things break without warning.

Craig