Re: SANE packages unmaintained : intent to take over

jhf@rivenstone.net (Joseph Fannin) wrote:

Hi,

[HP 4200C backend]

>> This is a backend we could include in some package. Maybe someone
>> would be inclined to have a deeper look at it then.
>
>     I've used this backend before -- it works well for me.  People
> with higher standards than me might have something to say about the
> image quality that I miss, but it works.  The patch against the SANE
> source tree seems minimally invasive at a glance.

It seems to be just another backend, I haven't looked at it yet.

>     I would *love* to see the backend packaged as a part of Debian,
> especially since the Windows drivers provided by HP don't even work
> anymore.  The 4200C is the most expensive piece of crap I've ever
> bought, and this backend is the only thing that makes it usable -- but
> that's another story.
>
>     Is there anything I can do to help?

I'm going to build a libsane-extras package with the following
backends (either as part of the sane-backends source package or
seperately, the latter would be the best) :
 - HP 4200 C
 - gt68xx
 - HP ScanJet 3300C, 3400C, 4300C
 - tevion9693usb

The last 2 backends are scheduled for inclusion in SANE 1.0.10.

This package should be available with libsane 1.0.8-2, I hope to roll
out this revision tomorrow evening (UTC + 2).

JB.

--
 Julien BLACHE <jblache@debian.org>  |  Debian, because code matters more
 Debian & GNU/Linux Developer        |        http://www.debian.org