Re: SANE packages unmaintained : intent to take over

On Sun, Sep 29, 2002 at 10:38:00AM +0200, Julien BLACHE wrote:
> Brian May <bam@debian.org> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> >> As a last note, if you're compiling SANE by hand because of a backend
> >> not included in the official SANE distribution, please mail me with
> >> some details about this backend (URL, etc.). I'm thinking of a
> >> libsane-extras (or whatever) package containing such backends, so
> >> Debian users would be more comfortable with SANE in Debian.
> >
> > May I ask what the status is of the HP4200C drivers?
>
> Seems it's still the same. A quick search on google returns some
> success reports with the SF project you're mentioning.
>
> > I looked yesterday, and there is a sourceforge project
> > area with nothing since 2000. Also there is nothing
> > I can see on the official sane websites.
>
> The backend is listed as an external yet-to-be-included project in
> alpha stage.
>
> > I suspect the project is dead (now I wish we had purchased
> > the earlier model, 4100C which does appear to be supported.)
>
> Yes...
>
> If you've got some time to spare, you can give it a try...
>
> This is a backend we could include in some package. Maybe someone
> would be inclined to have a deeper look at it then.

    I've used this backend before -- it works well for me.  People
with higher standards than me might have something to say about the
image quality that I miss, but it works.  The patch against the SANE
source tree seems minimally invasive at a glance.

    I would *love* to see the backend packaged as a part of Debian,
especially since the Windows drivers provided by HP don't even work
anymore.  The 4200C is the most expensive piece of crap I've ever
bought, and this backend is the only thing that makes it usable -- but
that's another story.

    Is there anything I can do to help?

--
Joseph Fannin
jhf@rivenstone.net

"Anyone who quotes me in their sig is an idiot." -- Rusty Russell.