Re: dpkg-statoverride question

On Sat, Sep 28, 2002 at 10:18:18AM +1000, Brian May wrote:

> 1. I got this straight from the policy 11.9.1. This is the recommended
> practise for dynamic user ids. Is the policy wrong? (on second
> thoughts; I forgot to implement the recommended "The corresponding
> `dpkg-statoverride --remove' calls can then be made unconditionally when
> the package is purged.")

I don't agree that it is correct to call dpkg-statoverride --remove
_unconditionally_ when removing such a package.  This makes it impossible
for the admin to override the permissions, does it not?

> 2. If  the policy is wrong, what should I do instead? I can't call adduser
> in the build script...

This is accomplished in various other (bad) ways, such as chowning in
maintainer scripts and init scripts and...

--
 - mdz