Re: dpkg-statoverride question

On Fri, Sep 27, 2002 at 06:45:30PM -0500, Adam Heath wrote:
> maintainer scripts are not supposed to dpkg-statoverride.  You set the perms
> in the deb, when building it.  Local admins then call dpkg-statoverride to
> change it.

Three points:

1. I got this straight from the policy 11.9.1. This is the recommended
practise for dynamic user ids. Is the policy wrong? (on second
thoughts; I forgot to implement the recommended "The corresponding
`dpkg-statoverride --remove' calls can then be made unconditionally when
the package is purged.")

2. If  the policy is wrong, what should I do instead? I can't
call adduser in the build script...

3. This would appear to be a problem even if the maintainer scripts
do not call dpkg-statoverride, as I said before, I never delete
the override, I think dpkg must be doing that.
--
Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>