Re: the netbase/inetd conspiracy

On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 11:01:36AM +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> In chiark.mail.debian.devel, you wrote:
> >On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 09:50:00AM +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> >> Didn't we have this discussion recently? I'm sure there are cases where
> >> a deleted file is treated differently from an empty file by the
> >> application.=20
> >
> >So list them.
>
> The thread "When bind9 reinstalls, no db.root"
> (http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2002/debian-devel-200208/msg01375.html
> onwards) suggested that snmpd would be an issue.

Yes, mentioning that was my fault.

It's an issue, because it

 a) works,
 b) (because the init.d skripts _do_ check for file existence before
    starting the daemons, and
 c) it is easy to do on ump-teen machines one has to set up over the
    time

As a matter of fact, after reading the manpages, this appears to be rather
broken behaviour, because it

 a) is not required [to have these files] for the agent to operate and
    respond to requests. (from both snmpd.conf(5) and snmptrapd.conf(5))
 b) /etc/defaults/snmpd exists and contains SNMPDRUN and TRAPDRUN
    variables
 c) conflicts with the more intuitive notion of
    --reinstall <==> --purge && --install

> We'd also need to educate users that rm /etc/foo and cp /dev/null
> /etc/foo will behave differently. At the moment I delete stuff in cron.d
> that I don't want. Some of these seem to be marked as conffiles, but I
> think expecting them not to come back on package reinstall is fairly
> legitimate.

aj already said it: people deleteing random files have to prepare (in
either case) to be shot into the foot (myself included).

What is needed thus?

A fscking simple method to disable this (and other) stuff.
At install time.
Independent of file existance.
That works.

Yes, sometimes I just go over the top of my head ...

Regards, David
--
Afrika kommt nach Europa. Das ist der Kontinentaldrift. Da kann man auch
mit einem neuen Asylgesetz nichts dagegen machen. Das sollte mal wer