Re: the netbase/inetd conspiracy

On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 11:58:07AM +0200, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> Richard Braakman <dark@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> [...]
> > As far as I can tell, the only intended effect of deleting the file
> > is to make inetd abort when it starts, to ensure that it will never run.
> [...]
> > At first glance, I can't find any other way to do it.
> [...]

Note that you snipped the part where I said that this doesn't actually work.

> Add exit 0 at the top of /etc/init.d/inetd

That only helps if the init script is the only way to start inetd.
If you want to disable it for security reasons, and want to make sure
it can't start even by accident, then that's not good enough.

(On the other hand, I wouldn't stop short of actually removing the
program in that case.  I disagree with Thomas here.)

Richard Braakman