Re: Accepted po-debconf 0.2.2 (all source)

Hi,

At Tue, 17 Sep 2002 15:36:49 +0200,
Denis Barbier wrote:

> Well it is even more confusing than you think ;)
> Jason Gunthorpe told that Description-*  fields for package descriptions
> will be UTF-8 encoded, but it is in no way related to Description-* fields
> in /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.templates; we currently do not know where these
> fields will be put, but certainly not in .templates files.

I see.  This method also works.

However, if we completely abondon /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.templates files
(of course new Debconf must support them for compatibility, otherwise
old packages won't be able to be handled), we can think about more
drastic modification of design.  For example, usage of gettext will
free us from encoding conversion, because gettext does it automatically.

In this case, since .mo files are binary, we don't need to care about
evil text files with mixture of encodings (which seems to be a reason
why Jason insists such migration from /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.templates
to other files).

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/