Re: Need witnesses

on Tue, Sep 17, 2002, Hubert Chan (hubert@uhoreg.ca) wrote:

> Craig> Not so much that it isn't supposed to, but that people don't
> Craig> always realize it does. MS Word files have a number of data
> Craig> fields that are visible in the file properties dialog, but people
> Craig> often don't look there. ...
>
> OK, for the record, I loaded the file into MS Word 2000 (school computer
> -- not my own).  Here are the properties:
>
> Title: To the Editor
> Author: Peter Passell
> Company: Milken Institute
> Created: September 5, 2002 3:10:00 PM (I'm in Eastern Daylight Time
> (-0400)).
> [The Modified: and Accessed: fields look like they're just taken from
> the file statistics.  I guess the Created: field is from the file data,
> since I just got the file.]
> Last saved by: Michael Wendy
> Revision number: 3
> Total editing time: 2 Minutes (Wow!  I wish I could write that fast!)
>
> BTW, could anyone figure out what the guy's point was?  After I trimmed
> out all the fluff, all I could get was "Don't listen to Bruce because
> he's going to make you use Open Source."  None of the stuff seems to be
> well reasoned either.

So we're all on the same cryptographically checksummed page:

    [karsten@ego:tmp]$ md5sum Maccrisken.Letter.doc
    cc13acf991915d89c89438a9e4c1709a  Maccrisken.Letter.doc

bview turns up a few other items of interest, principally:

    Bernard Reddy (following 000033A0)

Googling this name reveals:

    http://www.milkeninstitute.org/msoft/msoft_toc.cfm
    Microsoft, Antitrust and the New Economy: Selected Essays

    Why Does Microsoft Charge So Little for Legacy MS Windows?
    by Bernard Reddy, David S. Evans and Albert L. Nichols

The Milken Institute has its own substantial section devoted to
Microsoft:

    http://www.milkeninstitute.org/msoft/

Reddy's even been published elsewhere.  The site is known
internationally:

    http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/doj/econ/10-16econ-b.asp

...and elsewhere:

    http://www.consumerfed.org/jeclet.pdf
    http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/trial/schmal/fbfootnotes.asp

...I'd say there's a good chance Bruce's "grassroots" letter was posted
by someone other than a mere concerned citizen.  Looking forward to his
Register article.

Peace.

   A guide to GNU/Linux partitioning:
     http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Linux/FAQs/partition.html