Re: Accepted po-debconf 0.2.2 (all source)

On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 02:50:01PM +0900, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> > Well, I didn't know that debconf already supported translations and didn't
> > use utf-8, that's really too bad.
>
> Yeah that's too bad that you didn't know.

*groan*

> In my impression we already have an almost fully-translated debconf templates for Debian 3.0,
> and it's working (unless you set your locale to something other than the language-default,
> such as trying to use UTF-8)

In other words, it's partially working.  Not honoring the locale's
encoding isn't a small problem.

You still seem to have said that UTF-8 is also not suitable because of
round-trip problems.  (You said it's not a "one-to-one match", but never
elaborated.)  Could you please either elaborate, provide a link to an
explanation of what you meant, or withdraw the statement?  There's too
much misinformation about Unicode about, and vague statements like those
make things worse.

--
Glenn Maynard