Re: dselect and dpkg

On Sun, Sep 15, 2002 at 09:59:12AM -0500, Graham Wilson wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 15, 2002 at 05:40:14PM +0300, Ymir wrote:
> > I was wondering why does dpkg pre-depend on dselect, seeing how
> > dselect is a frontend for dpkg. I was trying to uninstall dselect the
> > other and found that rather odd dependency, was thinking somebody
> > could tell me _why_ it's there.
>
> i think it is because dpkg and dselect used to be in one package. the
> pre-depends exists so that the new setup is similar to the old one.

Especially because if you're upgrading from the old arrangement using
dselect and the pre-depends wasn't there then you would run the risk of
dselect disappearing from under your feet during the upgrade. To put it
mildly, this would be bad.

The split and pre-depends paves the way for dselect to be optional
sometime after the sarge release. Have patience!