Re: Non-Intel package uploads by maintainer

Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:

> Since I have access to both Intel and Sparc hardware, it would be possible
> for me to upload both the i386 version and the Sparc version of the binary
> packages when I build a new release.
>
> Is there any reason not to do this? It seems that it might speed up the
> autobuild process, specially when it is a library like libgmp3 which other
> packages depend upon for their builds...

There are several reasons not to do this.

Don't upload binaries at all.

The autobuilder will check the build-process of your package. It will
build in a clean chroot with proper build-depends. With proper
versions of all tools.

If you upload binaries you get the usual bugs of missing
build-depends, wrong versions of tools or libraries and so on. Just
because you had them installed.

Only reason I see for binary uploads would be for archs that are far
behind or packages that need that little extra time to build. (open
office with its 4G space requirement also comes to mind).

MfG
        Goswin

PS: I assume dinstall got fixed to not delete sources-only uploads.