Re: Should we customize apps for a common "debian-look"?

#include <hallo.h>
* Sebastian Rittau [Sat, Aug 31 2002, 03:44:31AM]:

> > I like them and i think they are impressive...
> > It's one of the things Apple proved: desktop and apps that look smooth
> > do make their users feel comfortable with them ;)
>
> While I think that it's generally a good idea to integrate these both
> desktops in as many ways as possible, I think that this is something
> that should be tackled upstream. We should stick with the default look
> of those desktop environments.

I think we just need a meta package which contains the color scheme data
and pixmaps and some debconf questions aka: "Would you like to use a
uniform theme (colors, icons) for all users? If yes, which one?".

 - Debian Theme (dark)
 - Debian Theme (bright)
 - Some Other Theme
 - use default theme of each software part

This metapackage should be installed as one of the first when installing
"x-window-system" task package. When a WM or desktop environment are
configured in postinst, they can look for the debconf data of
the-meta-package, generate a "theme" for their purposes (or even include
prepared theme files in the package) and install it as default. OR
SET IT as recommended theme if they offer a pre-setup dialog like KDE
does.

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.
--
<Gromitt> Joey: wie drauf bekommen... habe hier kein netzanschlus (permission
          denied in der Firma) und Floppy hat das Ding nicht :)